Remember the recipe for a tasty book review and be sure to include all of our key ingredients:
- A brief summary.
- Your opinion of the book (the most important review ingredient!)
- A connection to this book, whether it is to your own experience or to something you have read, watched, or heard.
Your words are powerful and influential, so always be mindful and write thoughtfully.
Let the blogging begin!

The Great Wall Of Lucy Wu
ReplyDeleteWendy Wan- Long Shang
A girl named Lucy has two big problems in this story. She had found out that she had a great aunt named Yi Po. Lucy does not like Yi Po and she has to share a room with her. Also, Lucy loved basketball and played all the time. Her parents are Chinese and wanted Lucy to go to Chinese school but Lucy wanted to do basketball. She had to make a big decision. Lucy goes to regular school and there is a big bully named Sloane Connors and she wants to be captain of the sixth grade basketball team. So does Lucy. Lucy’s basketball coach wants her to do 50 three throws a night.
My opinion is that the book is awesome! Lucy had to make a huge decision about whether to go to Chinese school or do basketball. It is awesome because the author Wendy Wan- Long Shang includes great details in her writing. I could not stop reading! It was exciting and fun to read.
I recommend this book to people that sometimes have to make hard decisions and who like funny stories. This reminds me of the time I had to make a hard decision. The genre of this book is realistic fiction.
Cool blog Hannah. I would want to read this book.
DeleteHannah, I’m so happy you enjoyed this book! I can tell from your description that Lucy certainly did have a difficult decision to make. Without giving anything away, do you think she made the right choice?
DeleteThis book sounds really good! you described it really well and now I want to read it!
DeleteInside Out & Back Again
ReplyDeleteThanhha Lai
Ha is ten and loves her papaya tree but the Vietnam war has reached her home. Ha and her family are forced to board a ship that will bring them to America. In America Ha discovers the foreign world of Alabama: Coldness of its strangers, the shape of its land, and the strength of her own family.
I loved how it was written in the form of a poem because it is not that common in most books and I loved that it is historical fiction because that is my favorite type of genre. Two adjectives that describe the book are sad and suspense.
I would recommend this book to people who like historical fiction stories or stories that are written like poems. This book is connected to Esperanza Rising because Esperanza and Ha both have to move to a new state and both felt sad about that.
Mia, thank you for sharing! I suppose Alabama would feel very foreign to Ha. It must have been interesting to read about it from her perspective. After reading your summary I can tell that this must have been a moving story, and if it’s similar to Esperanza Rising, it must be good!
DeleteWow Mia! Great blog. I really want to read Inside out and Back Again. I loved your summary it had great description about the book.
ReplyDeleteThe Fingertips Of Duncan Dorfman
ReplyDeleteMeg Wolitzer
SUMMARY
The main characters of this book are Duncan, April, and Nate. This book takes place in a lot of places but, one place I remember is when April stops at a motel to stay for the night and she meets a boy by the pool and he is just walking around. One important part was at the park and they get stuck and they have nowhere to go to get out.
OPINION
To me this book was very humorous. Though this book has some serious parts and “happy ending” parts / good parts. Some “happy ending” were after the serious parts of the book. There were some mysterious parts to where April finds out one mystery she can’t solve.
CONNECTION
The part where they had gone to the amusement park and saw all the rides reminded me of my first time at my first amusement park.
I would recommend this book to people who like books of composition and adventure.
Albert, it must have been tough to review this book without giving away any of the surprises, well done! Based on your opinion, it sounds like the book was an entertaining combination of humor and mystery. Have you read any other books this year with both suspense and humor?
DeleteInside out & back again
ReplyDeleteBy: Thanhha Lai
A ten-year-old girl hà lives in Vietnam with her big family, and lived a joyful life there. Until one day hà and her family are forced to move from the Vietnam War. And they travel by ship! Without a lot of food and barely any water. They land in America, Alabama and are going to start their new journey with a single footstep!
My opinion about this book is I think it’s very suspenseful because you want to know what comes next so you keep reading, and reading. Its very funny there is a lot of happy and interesting parts to read in this book. I love it and I think anyone else will too!
I would recommend this book to people who like Out of my mind and The great wall of Lucy Wu because they are all funny, interesting, and happily surprising in some parts. I’m not going to give any spoiler alerts, read the books and you will know how they are, fantastic. The genre is historical fiction enjoy!
Madison, thank you for all of those book recommendations! It’s wonderful you found so many connections to Ha’s journey. I’m glad you were able to enjoy both the suspenseful scene as well as enjoy the funny moments. Do you have a favorite Nutmeg book so far?
DeleteHannah you used a lot of description i loved what you wrote! you are really good at describing, i really want to read it now!
ReplyDeleteGood job mia! I read that too and it was very entertaining, you should read out of my mind! its good too :)
ReplyDeleteI read the book "I Have a Bad Feeling About This" by Jeff Strand. In the book 16 year-old Henry is brought to a survival camp for two weeks in hope that he will go back home as a strong, courageous man. He has difficulties at first but then starts to get the hang of things.
ReplyDeleteOut of no where the whole story twists and leaves the reader on a cliffhanger with every chapter. For me, I couldn't put the book down until I finished it.
I personally loved this book and I would totally recommend it especially to those who love action novels and book like this.